Purging BPEL and ESB instances
The question on the ability to purge instances for both Oracle BPEL and Oracle ESB keeps recurring so I decided to come up with a small overview.
- FMW version 188.8.131.52 and up, there is a new version of the
purge_soainfra_oracle.sql. Ensure that you run the purge setup scripts from the 184.108.40.206 RCU or 220.127.116.11 RCU location, respectively, as this contains the latest purge details. Details are in the SOA Admin Guide
- FMW version 18.104.22.168 and up, there is a
purge_soainfra_oracle.sqlscript in the
RCU_HOME/rcu/integration/soainfra/sql/purgedirectory. In the release before 22.214.171.124 you need to apply patch 10297850 to obtain the updated purge scripts. More details are in the FMW Admin Guide on Managing Database Growth. Mark Kelderman posted on how to improve the performance of this script by adding a specific index.
- From BPEL in SOA Suite version 10.1.3.3.1 and up, there is a
purge_instances_oracle.sqlscript in the
- For BPEL in SOA Suite version 10.1.3.1 you need patch 7162289. After applying this patch
purge_instances_oracle.sqlwill be located at
- In case you’re still running BPEL 10.1.2.0.2 check Oracle support document 398578.1 and document 341102.1
- For Mediator in FMW 11g refer to the scripts and links mentioned in the BPEL paragraph.
- To purge ESB instances in 10.1.3.4 you need to apply at least MLR#4 to have purge scripts available. There are 3 scripts available:
$ORACLE_HOME/integration/esb/sql/other/purge_by_date.sql $ORACLE_HOME/integration/esb/sql/other/purge_by_id.sql $ORACLE_HOME/integration/esb/sql/other/purge_by_instance_id.sql
Update 2011-06 SOA Suite 11gR1 PS3
Recently the SOA Suite Engineering Team published a presentation on Purging strategies in Oracle SOA Suite 11gR1 PS3. Besides the information presented in this post, the presentation goes into targeted deletion from the EM and looks into looped and parallel purges. It also mentions the use of database partitioning. That can be very useful when you have long running instances and a large installation (the presentation gives more than 500GB total OR more than 10GB daily depending on environment specifics).
Update 2011-07 Purging the Extreme Edition
Mark Kelderman posted a blog on Purging SOA Suite 11g Extreme Edition. He give a SQL script that deletes data from Mediator, BPEL, BPM, Workflow and Composite, and after that reclaims disk space.
Update Purge Oracle Service Bus
SOA 11g database growth strategies
In January of 2012 the Oracle Fusion Middleware whitepaper on database growth strategies was published. The advice presented should facilitate better dialog between SOA and Database administrators when planning database and host requirements. An important aspect of the whitepaper is purging of the SOA database.
- Oracle BPEL 10g purging strategies
- SOA 11g Infrastructure Database: Installation, Maintenance and Administration Guide [ID 1384379.1]
- Managing Space in the SOA Infrastructure Database
Updated purging strategies on Oracle Support
As part of the Oracle Fusion Middleware (FMW) SOA 11g Infrastructure Database: Installation, Maintenance and Administration Guide [ID 1384379.1] A purging guide has been published to offer strategies and procedures for managing database growth in a production SOA 11g implementation.
Purging is not supported for MS SQL Server out of the box or through a patch in any version of 11g. The provided scripts can, however, be used as a solid base from which to create usable purge scripts for SQL Server.